[tweetmeme source="googleavl" only_single=false]This is a hot topic and your action is needed. The Google Fiber initiative, as many know, is movement to have Google build an open fiber network for our community. But what if someone else could build it? What if the someone else was a group of taxpayers who banded together to pave roads, hire police, and build a better broadband network? In that last case, you would have a community-owned open network. http://appliancerepair-sd.com Appliance repair near me. Best Appliance repair.
And several NC state legislators are attempting to ban those types of networks.
Here are some of the links:
Bottom line: this is a bad bill and it appears to have been drafted to protect current broadband companies, rather than to encourage the building of better networks.
Please contact the representatives on the “Revenue Laws Study Committee” (these are the folks who must pass the bill first, and they are the ones responsible for its creation) and tell them to vote no for this bill (see the links for more information).
Here again is the information for the membership of The Joint Revenue Laws Study Committee, so get on the phones and write those e-mails!:
(Please send individual messages to members, even if the contents are essentially the same — avoid simply CC’ing a single message to every representative.)
- Sen. Daniel Gray Clodfelter (Co-Chair) Mecklenberg Daniel.Clodfelter@ncleg.net (919) 715-8331, (704) 331-1041
- Sen. Daniel T. Blue, Jr. Wake Dan.Blue@ncleg.net (919) 733-5752, (919) 833-1931
- Sen. Peter Samuel Brunstetter Forsyth Peter.Brunstetter@ncleg.net (919) 733-7850, (336) 747-6604
- Sen. Fletcher Lee Hartsell, Jr. Cabarrus, Iredell Fletcher.Hartsell@ncleg.net (919) 733-7223, (704) 786-5161
- Sen. David W. Hoyle Gaston David.Hoyle@ncleg.net (919) 733-5734, (704) 867-0822
- Sen. Samuel Clark Jenkins Edgecomb, Martin, Pitt Clark.Jenkins@ncleg.net (919) 715-3040, (252) 823-7029
- Sen. Josh Stein Wake Josh.Stein@ncleg.net (919)715-6400, (919)715-6400
- Sen. Jerry W. Tillman Montgomery, Randolph Jerry.Tillman@ncleg.net (919) 733-5870, (336) 431-5325
- Rep. Paul Luebke (Co-Chair) Durham Paul.Luebke@ncleg.net 919-733-7663, 919-286-0269
- Rep. Harold J. Brubaker Randolph Harold.Brubaker@ncleg.net 919-715-4946, 336-629-5128
- Rep. Becky Carney Mecklenberg Becky.Carney@ncleg.net 919-733-5827, 919-733-5827
- Rep. Pryor Allan Gibson, III Anson, Union Pryor.Gibson@ncleg.net 919-715-3007, 704-694-5957
- Rep. Dewey Lewis Hill Brunswick, Columbus Dewey.Hill@ncleg.net 919-733-5830, 910-642-6044
- Rep. Julia Craven Howard Davie, Iredell Julia.Howard@ncleg.net 919-733-5904, 336-751-3538
- Rep. Daniel Francis McComas New Hanover Danny.McComas@ncleg.net 919-733-5786, 910-343-8372
- Rep. William C. McGee Forsyth William.McGee@ncleg.net 919-733-5747, 336-766-4481
- Rep. William L. Wainwright Craven, Lenoir William.Wainwright@ncleg.net 919-733-5995, 252-447-7379
- Rep. Jennifer Weiss Wake Jennifer.Weiss@ncleg.net 919-715-3010, 919-715-3010